Discover purpose: Blended.

Discover~Laugh~Think~Examine~Create
BLENDED.

Enjoy.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Expectations

Going somewhere new forces you to have expectations. Okay, at least in my life, whenever I move onto the next stage of my life or do something I've never done before, I always expect certain things. There was no exception in my coming to Mexico. I've learned that when you expect things, you can almost always count on them to fail you. And yes, Mexico was no exception to that one either. Let me explain.

When I was planning to come to Mexico, they told us that we would be living with families that would most likely have children. These families wanted their children to learn English, so having a native English speaker in the house is conducive to that very outcome. I also imagined that my family would be cooking a lot and would want me to help them cook. I thought I would become an expert at Mexican-food cooking by the time I got finished. I imagined finally having little brothers and sisters, of which, being the youngest, I never got to experience. I was so excited for this.

When I got to Mexico, things were so different from what I had expected. My 'parents' (if you could really call them my parents) are 27 years old. We live with Martha's parents, but Martha and Toño are my providers. They are young, have their own friends, and do cool stuff like skydiving and repelling. Heck yeah! So sure, it wasn't what I had expected, but it was still awesome. But then that means they do these kinds of things on Sundays. Not... the... greatest... Man, it has been difficult. It's just interesting because I had imagined this cute little family with little kids and going to church together, and it's like I'm being thrown back into high school. I have to defend my standards often. We hang out with Toño's friends, and they are not the best people in the world. All I'm saying is that I'm glad I don't know Spanish bad words because I think they're saying them a lot. Luckily I was able to go to the Distribution Center in Oaxaca and get a picture of Christ visiting the Nephites, so that brings a bit of home back. Anyway, it's just different than what I had expected. I was not expecting to have to deal with hungover Mexicans. I was not expecting to go to weddings and watch everyone drink and smoke and wonder why I wasn't. I was not expecting to have to tell someone I couldn't hold a bottle of beer 'just for a picture'. Can you imagine what people would have thought if that picture got out? I, of course, would not drink any, but she wanted to get a picture with me holding the bottle, just for picture's sake. She kept insisting, and there was no way I was giving in. I'm about 85 percent sure I offended her. But I didn't take it. It's a whole new world here.

Bottom line, however, is that even though I am not being put in the same situations, I am still having the same feelings of growth and adventure that I thought I would. I am experiencing Mexico to its fullest, and that is exactly what I had expected. I expected to be growing spiritually, and that is happening too. The Lord had something for me to gain here, and He is giving it to me in a way I never would have thought. Not only that, I'm getting some experience on the side. It's nice to know I'm being taken care of by Someone who knows everything. Isn't that a wonderful feeling?

No comments:

Post a Comment