Discover purpose: Blended.

Discover~Laugh~Think~Examine~Create
BLENDED.

Enjoy.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

It's Catch-up time.

Hey, it's been a while! Everyone still out there? Don't worry, I'm still alive. And I finally have access to a computer that I can put pictures on. That is good news for you guys!! There is so much that has happened that it may take a couple of blog posts to catch you up. I'm sorry that the internet at our school is sketchy. I finally found out that there is a desktop computer in my host family's house that I can use. It is really slow, but it works. Okay, now time for a little catch-up.

I tried my first Helote a while back, and I am totally addicted. I think I'm going to start my own Helote business when I get back to school. I'd make bank! Especially off of the RM's. Helote literally means an ear of corn, but this way that they prepare it is totally delicious. Don't be scared of the whole Mayonnaise business, it's just to hold the cheese on. You can't even really taste the Mayo. So it's a layer of mayo, delicious cheese, and chili powder sprinkled on top. It is so amazing. Behold.








Yeah, deliciousness on a stick. The food here is just pretty much amazing. A ton of it is fried, so that always helps in the deliciousness department. My family likes to show me new things, so it's a pretty rare occasion when I get something that I've had before. My favorite things I've had thus far are Gorditas and Huaraches. Gorditas consist of tortillas stuffed with beans and delicious meat and then fried. It's like a stuffed scone, except not sweet. Then Huaraches are tortillas that are stretched out and have beans inside and salsa verde and meat and all that good stuff on it. They are flat, but they are fried too. Oh man oh man, they are good. I just love mexican food.

Tehuacan is a relatively small city, but it still has a mall. We went to the mall (all 5 of us teachers) to go see a movie one Saturday. Movies here only cost 35 pesos which is about 3 bucks, and it's a nice theater! I was pretty excited. We went to Crazy, Stupid Love, and it was really funny. It was also a little bit sketchy for my taste, so I don't think I could recommend it to you, but it was still really funny. I didn't know anything about it except that it was PG-13, so I went for it. The other cool thing was that it was in English with Spanish subtitles, so we weren't completely lost. Hooray for American movies! Anyway, when we were on our way to the theater, we had to pass through the mall. Look what we found.



We all BUSTED a gut when we saw this. I tried to explain to my family that Athlete's foot is a fungus that is not good, but I don't think they understood. Oh well, I got a kick out of it.

Last of all, Alicia and Danielle's family has a ranch about an hour away from Tehuacan, so Saturday they invited me to go with them. We had such a blast! And it was just what I had expected rural Mexico to be. Tons of corn and little cute old Mexican women. We ate corn soup, smoked corn, and steamed corn with lime and salt. May I just say, regularly cooked corn with lime and salt is really good. You cut the lime in half and dip it in a bowl of salt, and then you rub it on the corn like a stick of butter. I don't know how else to explain it other than that, so I hope that is satisfactory. Anyway, I think I'm just going to let the pictures talk now.









Oh, for the record, it's Mexican Independence Day on Thursday, so there is more to come. Get excited.

3 comments:

  1. i am so excited that you are having a blast in Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds like you're having a grand adventure. I'm... a little jealous. But happy for you! Be safe, we love you, and stay awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite areas of my mission was a city called Helotes--obviously after the delicious treat you've described here. If you started such a business, you'd definitely make bank.

    Super jealous over the three-dollar movies, too. :)

    Glad to hear you're having such a good time down there. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete